Monday, June 25, 2012

 Two of the covers I painted for Warriors Publishing Group.
First is the painting I created for the reprinting of the best selling novel Outrage, by Dale Dye. Dale is a retired marine Captain, and is the military adviser that is called "Hollywood's Drill Sergeant", having worked on such films as Platoon, Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers and The Pacific.  Outrage focuses on the events surrounding the bombing of the Marine barracks in Beirut. I wanted to capture the somber feeling of a Marine, surveying the debris, knowing that there are fallen friends in the rubble.  I also used a style popular in the 60's and 70's, so the colors are warm and almost washed out.
The second book cover I painted is for the reprinting of John Del Vecchio's best selling Vietnam War novel, The 13th Valley. A book hailed as the greatest Vietnam book ever written.  What I wanted to convey, with the art, was a feeling of isolation, and of almost insignificance a soldier may feel when he looks out on an ancient valley so large. I wanted to give the feeling of exhaustion, from the weight of his gear and from the humidity and sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment